Monuments of Architecture in Varna
The Roman Therms are the biggest ancient public building found in Bulgaria and on the Balkan Peninsula. The comparatively well preserved walls outline an impressive structure, built on more than 7000 square meters.
Aladzha Monastery is a medieval Orthodox Christian cave monastery complex in northeastern Bulgaria, 17 km north of central Varna and 3 km west of Golden Sands beach resort, in a protected forest area adjacent to the Golden Sands Nature Park.
The Navy Club was built in the end of 19th century on December 10, 1900 by the design of two architects – Todor Boyadzhiev from Varna and the Frenchman Pierre. The first New Year’s grand ball in Varna was organized in the Club after the Liberation (1878), on the occasion of the beginning of the new century. With its imposing architectural style, dominates at the corner of the principal Varna boulevards Maria Louisa and Vladislav Varnenchik – opposite the Cathedral.
The Stone Forest, also known as Pobiti Kamani is a desert-like rock phenomenon which is considered of the only desert in Bulgaria and one of few found in Europe. The natural attraction is consists of cylindrical stone columns fixed in a small desert.
The Wonderful Rocks are ten massive beautiful rock needles, 40-50 meters high, shaped like castle towers. They were formed by the effect of wind and water on limestone. The rocks had formed directly by the banks of Tsonevo dam, where they are steep and vertical. In the region are situated a lot of interesting caves, rock massifs and holes, some of which are inhabited by large rapacious birds.
Until the middle of the 19th century the place where today the Sea Garden is located was a bare field outside the city walls. In 1862 a small garden was arranged on the orders of the city’s Ottoman mayor. After the Liberation of Bulgaria (1878) mayor Mihail Koloni suggested the arrangement of a city garden and a seaside park in 1881.
The Sun Clock replaced the previous statue of Stalin at the entrance to the Sea Gardens in Varna. Its unqiue shape represents a flying swan and captivates many visitors while they walk around and see it for the first time.
The Asparuhov Bridge is located on the Black Sea coast of Bulgaria, connecting the Asparuhovo quarter to the rest of the city over the canals between the Black Sea and Lake Varna. The bridge is an important transport installation, but also a place where extreme sport fans meet, as the bridge is a favourable location for bungee jumping.
The construction began in 1929 and ended in 1933. The building is an architectural monument of local importance. It`s designed with wholesale scaled baroque elements. Typical for the building is the massive half-rounded rizalit that ends with a huge circular dome-shaped shield. The three arched doors can be achieved by large semicurved staircases. The doors are flanked by Corinthian columns that carry a balustrade balcony. The building embodies the strength and power of industrial Chamber and Commodity Exchange. Since 1952 the building was handed over to the MRL and it is used as a headquarter of the Navy. As a military facility the building is guarded 24 hours.
Alley of the Olympic sports is located in the Sea Garden and it was opened with a solemn ceremony on 05.09.2013. Renewed path length 1100 meters and a width of 5 m. There are ten sites with appropriate signs, where residents and guests can receive more information about the success of Varna athletes. Alley has a new asphalt, new lighting, curbs, drainage, fitness equipment and benches.
The clockwork was bought in England and put by the Bulgarian revolutionary Oton Ivanov. It is a real piece of art. The clockwork is closed in a wooden “box” to which lead winding narrow staircases. The face of the clock is situated at the front. It controls clock movement and punctuality. By system of shafts and cogwheels the hands of the clock move outside the tower. The clockwork is set in motion by weights hanging in the middle of the tower. When the clock needs repair its hands are moved manually. In such a way the people of Varna can always be punctual on their dates.
The building of Central Post Office was built 1930-1935. The two-storey building is pretty impressive with its internal architectural decoration – work of the Ukrainian sculptor Mykhailo Paraschuk. In 1967 the building was upgraded with one more floor, and later expanded to the west side. Unfortunately, during the extension of the building, the work of Paraschuk was destroyed.
The building of the Municipality of Varna is built in 1981 and designed as a party headquarter in which to accommodate the city and district committees of the Communist Party and Komsomol.
The basilica is characterized by its unique mosaic. This one here is the earliest form of Christian churches and it is part of a complex of three basilicas that were built in 4-5 century. Studies have continued on them 30-40 years.